Sostenuto Question

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 20 10:32 MST 2002

These are 1920's or 30's original taps that I believe have springs.  The
piano is a 45 min drive away, not near me.  How about the upright Steinway
4510?  Thanks again,

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
985.72P.IANO

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Newton
Hunt
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 11:09 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Sostenuto Question

Yes it can.

Spring loaded taps have less of an effect.  The rigid taps have to be
adjusted so that the raising dampers miss the rail.  SO you have a
balancing act, damper lift, damper stop, sos lift and sos stop and hope
it all works well.

Double striking can be caused by the blade not lift high enough on rigid
taps.

Search the archives for a title "Sostenuto" and by me.

S&Ss are not hard but you do need to know what you are doing and how to
do it.

Friends, I am off to CHile this afternoon and I will be back on 3/5.

		Newton