CTE-Master Tuning

baoli liu baoli_liu@yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 18:34 MST 2002

Hi Avery and list,

Some of my opinions related to the subject.

The strings,soundboard,the hammer and even the case
all contribute to the sound,that means the tone (and
also the pitch) is determined by the string,
soundboard, string termination,etc.

The string is going to stretch and become thinner and
harder,this will cause pitch change.

The string termination is also going to change and
cause false beats some times.what's false beats?
that's "pitch instability and floating--another way of
pitch change.
Last summer in Reno,I took a very good class about
bridge rebuilding instructed by Ron N.Ron found that
the bridge pin is going to move up and down in the
bridge due to humidity change.
Because the brass bridge pin has a a deep mark which
is compressed by steel string,the moving pin will
cause the termination change and has a influence on
pitch.

String has partials,soundboard has it's own modes.When
piano create sound,soundboard and strings coupled
together via bridges.so any factor influenced
soundboard modes(like humidity) would has more or less
influence on the pitch.

when we listen a pitch, we are listening the pitch of
the whole piano,not the string's frequency,not the
string's partial.In my opinion,we have pay much more
attention on the string than the soundboard and other
"non-string" factors while we talking about the
piano's pitch.

Baoli Liu, RPT
School of Music
University of Wisconsin-Madison