CTE-Master Tuning

Don Rose drpt@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 8 15:58 MST 2002

Hi Avery,

I have heard that the accu tuner's memory tends to "drift" over time. This
is one reason that midi downloads of the "data" files are a very good idea.

In any event unless humidity, temperature and barometric pressure were
*all* controlled the partial pressure of the wood will change as to true
moisture content and therefore the impedance of the whole equation changes.
The felt on the hammer also contributes to these changes and as no one has
done studies without using hammers there is no clear way to see whether it
is the soundboard changing or the felt in the hammers changing. I suspect
that the bass tenor break would show the greatest changes, just as it does
for most other factors affecting pitch.

Bottom line is that "canned" tunings of any kind are only as good as the
environment they were measured in. If conditions are identical they work
and if they arn't they don't.

I am not a CTE so I did not initially respond to your post. I do hope that
no one has "failed" their tuning exam because of these factors. It is good
that you took the time to note the changes.

mailto:drpt@sk.sympatico.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.
REGINA, SK