Steinway legs & castors

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue Jan 22 08:16 MST 2002

In a message dated 1/21/02 8:31:29 PM Central Standard Time,
ilvey@sbcglobal.net writes:

> List,
>
> I have a Steinway S at a hotel which is rolled about 100 feet across a
> hardwood floor.  They do not want a truck so I'm thinking double rubber
> wheel castors.  These should fit without too much trouble?
>
> David I.

The rubber casters on legs will protect the floor. But a truck will protect
the legs of the piano as well. If you can convince them that rolling the
piano without the truck could cause one of the legs to collapse, if by chance
one of the casters gets stuck on something. A collapsing leg could damage not
only the piano, but also the floor, and more dramatic, someone's' leg or
foot. That, of course, could result in a huge lawsuit. That will usually
persuade management to take your recommendation.

Wim