Broken TP

Ron Torrella rontorrella@yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 07:47 MST 2002

I used a hot iron (either a soldering iron or a hammer iron, can't remember
which) to heat up a tuning pin that had sheared off just below the plate of
an old upright piano. The theory was that heating up the pin and then
letting it cool would create space around the pin -- enough to remove it
with an "easy-out." It worked, as I recall. If you just try removing the pin
without doing something to loosen things up, you risk breaking the removal
tool inside of the tuning pin. Been there, too. What a nightmare.

The person doing this might consider drilling a hole large enough to put in
a regular screw and then heat up the screw with a heat gun.