Pinblocks

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon Mar 4 13:04 MST 2002

In a message dated 3/4/02 12:12:44 PM Central Standard Time,
rbreakal@richmond.edu writes:

> Dear list,
>
> Anyone have a good way to drill pinblocks while in the piano? I have a
> couple of Steinways where the pinblock is in good shape but needs oversize
> pins. I have heard about table drill configurations where the drill can be
> mounted over the pinblock area on a sliding rail. Any ideas?
>

> Ray Breakall
> Piano Technician
> University of Richmond

Ray

I don't know if actually "drilling" the pin block is what you want to do. You
are probably going to use 3/0 or even 4/0 pins. There is no need make the
holes any larger than they are. What you might want to do, however, is clean
the holes. I would suggest you get a .22 caliber rifle bore cleaner. Just
chuck it in a hand held drill and clean out the holes, at a slow speed.

Wim Blees
U of Alabama