Pinblocks

Breakall, Raymond rbreakal@richmond.edu
Mon Mar 4 14:18 MST 2002

From: Wimblees@aol.com [mailto:Wimblees@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 2:57 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Pinblocks

In a message dated 3/4/02 12:12:44 PM Central Standard Time,
rbreakal@richmond.edu writes:

Dear list,

Anyone have a good way to drill pinblocks while in the piano? I have a
couple of Steinways where the pinblock is in good shape but needs oversize
pins. I have heard about table drill configurations where the drill can be
mounted over the pinblock area on a sliding rail. Any ideas?

Ray Breakall
Piano Technician
University of Richmond

Ray

I don't know if actually "drilling" the pin block is what you want to do.
You are probably going to use 3/0 or even 4/0 pins. There is no need make
the holes any larger than they are. What you might want to do, however, is
clean the holes. I would suggest you get a .22 caliber rifle bore cleaner.
Just chuck it in a hand held drill and clean out the holes, at a slow speed.

Wim Blees
U of Alabama
[Breakall, Raymond]

Wim,

Thanks for the reply. You are right about oversize pins. I was really
thinking about drilling a new pinblock.  Any ideas.

Ray