Les Noces

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed Mar 6 11:23 MST 2002

Hi Eric and Lawrence,

I agree with the majority of replies so far.  I do not tune pianos
together.  I tune each piano to it's own stretch.  Of course they
will not be exactly the same stretch numbers but they will be very
close and sound very good together.  In my opinion, the very minor
differences will give each instrument it's own voice, so to speak.
Imagine trying to get four singers to sound exactly the same.  I
believe that the differences in characters also give the music a more
three dimensional sound as well.  In other words, they don't sound
like one big piano but four separate voices, each with their own
particular character.  Imagine how sterile it would sound if you got
the four singers to sound exactly the same.

It will be interesting to hear what you decide and how it turns out.

chris
--
-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
-School of Music, Ohio University