Les Noces

vem@email.byu.edu vem@email.byu.edu
Wed Mar 6 11:08 MST 2002

Eric,
My opinion always has been to tune each piano to its own FAC numbers.  That is
the way I have always done it when faced with similar situations, and I think
it always has worked out well.  This is what George Defebaugh has taught many
years ago, too.
vince

- Hello fellow cauts and caucts,
-
- We have an interesting scenario here and since it well may be a situation
- unique to our environments, I am interested in everyone's opinion on the
- subject. Our Chamber Choir, Chorale and Percussion Group are performing
- Stravinsky's Les Noces this weekend. I'm not familiar with this piece (yet)
- but it calls for 4 pianos. As it turns out, we can place 4 concert grands
- onstage our large auditorium without any hassle. The interesting aspect of
- this setting is that the 4 pianos consist of a Steinway D, a Yamaha CFIIIs,
- a Kawai EX, and a Baldwin SD-10. I'll bet everyone can guess the next
- question: How would you tune these pianos to each other? My assistant
- Lawrence Becker is the lucky guy assigned to that hall and is up there
- tuning right now for the first rehearsal using his Accutuner III. With
- instruments this dissimilar, my instinct is to pick the file of the piano
- that seems the most middle of the road and tune all 4 pianos to the same
- tuning file. In the past, I've experimented matching up 2 similar pianos in
- various ways (I use a cybertuner) with equally adequate and interesting
- results, but have not encountered a challenge like this before. What would
- you do?? I'm sure Lawrence will appreciate any input when he returns from
- his investigations.
-
- Eric Wolfley, RPT
- Head Piano Technician
- Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music
- University of Cincinnati
-