Les Noces

Doug Atkins ATKINSD@cedarville.edu
Wed Mar 6 11:28 MST 2002

Eric,

 I would tune the pianos aurally. No matter how you go about this
there are going to be compromises made. I would use an ETD to make
sure that the pianos were all at the same pitch the same, then set a
good temperament and tune from there. Two pianos that I have to tune
together here are a Shulz-Pullman 118 upright and a Steinway "L".  I
use the above method and when I am through with both, I play them
together, left hand on one keyboard and the right on the other. I play
notes chromatically with both hands while listening for discrepancies,
when they are found, first check the tuning individually on both
instruments, to make sure that they are in tune with themselves, if
both are fine then determine which piano you would like to compromise
the tuning on. The pianos sound extremely close in the middle with the
bass having the most comprimises made. Try it you might like it!

Doug Atkins
Registered Piano Technician
Cedarville University
937.766.7566
atkinsd@cedarville.edu

>>> "Wolfley, Eric (WOLFLEEL)" <WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU> 03/06/02
12:01PM >>>
Hello fellow cauts and caucts,

We have an interesting scenario here and since it well may be a
situation
unique to our environments, I am interested in everyone's opinion on
the
subject. Our Chamber Choir, Chorale and Percussion Group are
performing
Stravinsky's Les Noces this weekend. I'm not familiar with this piece
(yet)
but it calls for 4 pianos. As it turns out, we can place 4 concert
grands
onstage our large auditorium without any hassle. The interesting
aspect of
this setting is that the 4 pianos consist of a Steinway D, a Yamaha
CFIIIs,
a Kawai EX, and a Baldwin SD-10. I'll bet everyone can guess the
next
question: How would you tune these pianos to each other? My
assistant
Lawrence Becker is the lucky guy assigned to that hall and is up
there
tuning right now for the first rehearsal using his Accutuner III.
With
instruments this dissimilar, my instinct is to pick the file of the
piano
that seems the most middle of the road and tune all 4 pianos to the
same
tuning file. In the past, I've experimented matching up 2 similar
pianos in
various ways (I use a cybertuner) with equally adequate and
interesting
results, but have not encountered a challenge like this before. What
would
you do?? I'm sure Lawrence will appreciate any input when he returns
from
his investigations.

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati