new piano scratched

Alan Crane alan.crane@wichita.edu
Thu Mar 7 07:28 MST 2002

Our policy at WSU is that *nothing* is placed on the pianos and
harpsichords in our performance venues_________ whether the cover is in
place or not.
This eliminates any gray areas or judgement calls as to what constitutes an
article which may, or may not, cause damage to the instrument.

If asked, I simply tell the curious that items should be placed where they
would have been had the piano not been available (which, of course, it isn't!).

My evil tendancy, though, is to take any offending article I find, hold it
over a patch of floor where the piano isn't, and release it at the same
height above the floor at which its owner originally let go of it.... (in
my dreams       :)

Not to say that this policy is 100% effective; it isn't.  Its effectiveness
is generally a function of my vigilance... but it seems to be a good place
to start.

Regards,

Alan Crane, RPT
School of Music