new piano scratched

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu Mar 7 07:32 MST 2002

>It never ceases to amaze me how disrespectful musicians are of
>pianos. The walls of our recital halls are covered with black marks
>from the pianos being crammed against them. Scratch marks appear on
>the lids hours after delivery. These are from the little metal feet
>on the bottom of instrument cases. The faculty doing lectures in the
>hall use the pianos for desks and put their briefcases (with the
>little metal feet) and other things on top of the piano. After a
>while, the instruments get a patina of abuse and you get out the
>magic marker and quit worrying about it. I try to get the kids to
>visualize the piano as a brand new Porsche Carrerra their daddy just
>bought and think about what would happen if they put their
>instrument case (with the little metal feet) on top of the
>paint-job....

I agree,It isn't just the students.  I have had professional
musicians come in and be so disrespectful of the instruments.  When
our newest D was brand spanking new, a visiting artist, a pianist,
strolled right in and slammed his briefcase down right on the lid.  I
asked him politely to remove it and he thought that was funny!  "Boy,
don't set anything on the piano when Chris is around".  I wanted to
scream!  We just paid 65 grand for that piano you moron!  Of course I
said nothing.  I bet if I put my tool kit on his new car he would
have something to say about it.

chris
--
-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.