Richard Goode

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Thu Mar 7 18:16 MST 2002

A very nice fellow, I caught him being "human" a few years ago. He tried to
save me some work; he was playing a Mozart piano concerto and he left a note
on the piano pointing out that the Mozart doesn't use all the notes of the
piano, and I only needed to tune from such and such note to such and such
note. He came into the hall while I was tuning the top end of the piano,
beyond the Mozart notes. He came up to me and inquired why I was tuning the
high treble, and then a look came over his face as he realized that the same
concert also included a Stravinsky piece that used the piano as a part of
the orchestra. "Oh, you're tuning for the other..." I nodded and proceeded.

Of course, I would have tuned the whole piano even if the Stravinsky hadn't
been on the program. Nice gesture, though.

Kent Swafford