German Silver Center pins

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 10 13:19 MST 2002

Thanks to Ted Sambell for the correction on the german silver center pins.
I may send some samples to our metallurgy deartment on campus for
analysis. Here's a definition of GERMAN SILVER from online:

	german silver

name for various alloys of copper, zinc, and nickel, sometimes also
containing lead and tin. They were originally named for their
silver-white color, but use of the term silver is now prohibited for
alloys not containing that metal. German silver varies in composition,
the percentage of the three elements ranging approximately as follows:
copper, from 50% to 61.6%; zinc, from 19% to 17.2%; nickel, from 30% to
21.1%. The proportions are always specified in commercial alloys. German
silver is extensively used because of its hardness, toughness, and
resistance to corrosion for articles such as tableware (commonly silver
plated), marine fittings, and plumbing fixtures. Because of its high
electrical resistance it is used also in heating coils. It was discovered
(early 19th cent.) by a German industrial chemist, E. A. Geitner.

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright © 2001 Columbia
University Press.