Occupational Outlook Handbook

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu Mar 14 10:38 MST 2002

In a message dated 3/14/02 10:25:07 AM Central Standard Time,
jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu writes:

> Another issue is that many CAUTs accept positions for lower pay just for

Just as there are tuners out there who tune for $50 per, when most of us are
in the $75- 90 range, there are going to be techs out there who will take a
CAUT job for $25,000, even with benefits, with the idea of working extra.
This is not helping our situation. But even at $80 per tuning, there are
techs out there who can't seem to make ends meet. What Randy teaches in his
class on how to make $80K, is that there is more money in a piano than just
an $80 tuning.

I believe our focus should be on quality and qualifications, rather than the
actual salary. Administrators need to be educated that a person with 25 years
experience, but without a "degree" namely being an RPT, or at least actively
attending seminars and institutes, isn't any better than a someone who
graduated from Med school 25 years ago, and never continued his/her
education. Or to put it more in the terms administrators can understand, for
the university to consider hiring a high school football coach who has had
nothing but mediocre teams for 25 years, to be the head coach of the
university.

One way we can educate the administrators is to contact the schools that have
openings, and discussing the salary needs of the tech. Sometimes
administrators have no clue, but if they were told, they might change their
mind. And when we do talk to them, also let them know about qualifications
and the PTG.

Just my opinion.

Wim