Pinblocks

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Thu Mar 14 09:54 MST 2002

Thanks Tim,

you actually sent me scurrying back to the PTG reprint CD. The tally is now
up to 6 methods, as Jack's article mentions 5, plus your mention of
pin-block plugging.

For the record; the first method Jack mentions and in no way recommends, is
by drilling by hand. Okay, so we're back to 5.

The other is a factory method using an articulated arm, which the device at
the Banff Centre for the Arts is patterned after.

I'm glad you mentioned plugging Tim, I've certainly heard of it and can't
see any reason why that wouldn't work just fine.

BTW, my (current) favourite method is drilling "out of the piano."

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

 -----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Tim Coates
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 8:11 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Pinblocks

    Mark,
    It has bothered me what that 4th method of doing pinblocks is.  I
finally remembered having to use the plugging method.  Web Phillips sells
half inch diameter plugs that are glued into the old block.

    I had one block (Emerson grand) that wouldn't come out.  Don't ask to
describe.  It can only be described with pictures.  But the answer was to
drill out all the pin holes with a half inch bullet bit and plug.  Then I
redrilled with the plate in (makes sense since the pinblock wouldn't come
out <g>).  Took about as long as a regular pinblock install.

    Tim Coates
    Wapin Co., LLP

    Mark Cramer wrote:

         Ray,There are (I believe) 4 methods of boring pinblocks, as
described by Jack Krefting in the PTG reprint kit titled "Pinblocks." This
is great reading!If you wish, I can forward you a report on 3 of the 4
methods I've used (in the piano, in the plate and on the bench) and you can
draw your own conclusions. (Darned if I can't remember what the 4th one
is!?)Just e-mail me direct: mailto:Cramer@BrandonU.CAMark