Occupational Outlook Handbook

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Fri Mar 15 07:44 MST 2002

Mary Smith wrote:
>I would counter that the intangible benefits to us of being in an academic
>environment where people are excited about music and learning, can offset
>the higher pay and relative isolation of total self-employment.

Yes.  This is why I am a CAUT.  I love the work and the environment.  If
the CAUT situation had not presented itself, I would be doing something
else and tuning pianos on the side for extra money.  But that something
else would have paid more than $38K.  Truck driving pays more than $38K.
In some private sector businesses, custodial supervisors make that much.

>I also get health and other forms of insurance, which, in
>this day and age, are nothing to turn up one's nose at.

I get those too, but for family coverage, I have to contribute an
additional $2320/year (health and dental combined), and that's for the
economy plan with $350/$700 deductibles.  An additional $2300 comes out for
the basic pension plan, but I can't consider putting money into the 401K.
I get home with about $2100 a month after contributions and taxes, and the
average home in this area with taxes will take half of that.  Yes, the
value of what the state contributes is substantial, agreed, and paid
vacation and sick time are a blessing.  But keep in mind private sector
businesses offer these same benefits to varying degrees along with higher
salaries for similarly skilled positions -- some significantly higher.

Wim Blees wrote:
>>With the health insurance, which is worth $6K per year, access to the rec
>>center, and 4 weeks of paid vacation, I am not going to complain too much
>>that I'm only making $40K.

According to online cost of living comparison calculators, your $40K in
Tuscaloosa compares to $49.7K in Columbia, SC (which is out of the salary
band here).  My $38K compares to $30.6K in Tuscaloosa.

No, I don't expect the state to pay $80K.  But is asking them to meet my
cost of living asking too much for the value of my skill?

I apologize for keep bringing this up.  But in a meeting with my dean last
December on this subject, he agreed that my salary should be higher, but
how much he didn't know.  He asked me to get input from you guys and that's
what I'm trying to do.  That's also why I think this ought to be part of
the Guidelines somehow.

Jeff