Occupational Outlook Handbook

Fri Mar 15 01:35 MST 2002

"Mary C. Smith" wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I would counter that the intangible benefits to us of being in an academic
> environment where people are excited about music and learning, can offset
> the higher pay and relative isolation of total self-employment. I work 50%
> at The University of Texas, and my pay is only slightly above 50% of that
> median. I then have time to pursue a private clientele, raise my daughter,
> have a life... I also get health and other forms of insurance, which, in
> this day and age, are nothing to turn up one's nose at. I also get pro-rated
> sick time, vacation time, and holidays.

You make a very very good point here Mary. Health and other insurances stateside
are "worth" quite a chunk of salary. It wouldnt be too much of a chore to find out
just how much that would cost you had you been forced to pay it yourself. 25 grand
annual in salary plus a decent health and bennies program can easily translate
into 40 grand or more for purely independants... or what.

As far as how much time we choose to work versus "live"... well that kinda depends
on your definitions for those two words doesnt it ?

And I agree whole heartedly about the stimulating environment in music / arts
schools. Despite the personal politics games that are always present. I really
enjoy the academic environment.

> I also feel it's important to be happy with my choices, so I overlook the
> occasional hassle of working in academia, and try to find creative solutions
> to the problems. It's important to save for the future, and I do, no matter
> what. Everyone should have a financial plan in place, and there are plenty
> of ways to develop one. I agree that we CAUT's live on a more limited income
> than many, but we also enjoy a much higher standard of living than most
> people in the world, and we get to work on objects that bring beauty, joy,
> and art into people's lives! Are we lucky, or what? (I'm a hopeless optimist!)
>
> Regards,
> Mary
>
> P.S. I have serious doubts about those who talk about $80K, or "6-figure"
> salaries in this business. Tuning that many pianos would make anyone
> completely crazy. Sales are one way to increase income, and so is working
> long hours. But, what's the point if you have no life?

There we disagree me thinks. Making 80 grand as a piano tech is not a big problem
really. It DOES take a lot of work, and you have to be quite diversified in what
you can offer. It means being a more all round buisness person. Certainly tho, if
you are just doing tuning then you are never going to get that kind of income, let
alone do so and maintain your sanity. :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.