Occupational Outlook Handbook

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu Mar 14 16:38 MST 2002

In a message dated 3/14/02 2:04:08 PM Central Standard Time,
jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu writes:

> Wim wrote:
> >What Randy teaches in his class on how to make $80K, is that there is more
> >money in a piano than just an $80 tuning.
>

> Don't we do more to pianos in the university setting than just tune them?
> Jeff

Jeff

Yes, we do. But we are on salary. Randy's case would be for self employed
people. The question is, should we be compensated the same way? While I would
like to get $80K, I doubt very much if any university is going to pay that.
Also, in the private sector, in order to make more money, you have to work
more hours. It is not going to possible to make $80K working only 40 hours a
week. You don't have to work 80 hours, but probably closer to 60 hours a
week. (BTW,  I hope you realize this is net, after all the expenses are
paid).  In most, if not all, CAUT situation, we are only allowed to work 40
hours a week. We can work more, but won't be compensated for it. I don't know
about you, but because I do work quite fast, and I am able to get my work
done in less than 40 hours, which give me time to do private tuning, or take
some time off. And I am not stressed to get work done. Other than getting a
tuning in before a concert, my life is much easier now that I am working for
UA. With the health insurance, which is worth $6K per year, access to the rec
center, and 4 weeks of paid vacation, I am not going to complain too much
that I'm only making $40K.

Wim