Occupational Outlook Handbook

Mary C. Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 14 15:48 MST 2002

Hi Jeff,

I would counter that the intangible benefits to us of being in an academic
environment where people are excited about music and learning, can offset
the higher pay and relative isolation of total self-employment. I work 50%
at The University of Texas, and my pay is only slightly above 50% of that
median. I then have time to pursue a private clientele, raise my daughter,
have a life... I also get health and other forms of insurance, which, in
this day and age, are nothing to turn up one's nose at. I also get pro-rated
sick time, vacation time, and holidays.

I also feel it's important to be happy with my choices, so I overlook the
occasional hassle of working in academia, and try to find creative solutions
to the problems. It's important to save for the future, and I do, no matter
what. Everyone should have a financial plan in place, and there are plenty
of ways to develop one. I agree that we CAUT's live on a more limited income
than many, but we also enjoy a much higher standard of living than most
people in the world, and we get to work on objects that bring beauty, joy,
and art into people's lives! Are we lucky, or what? (I'm a hopeless optimist!)

Regards,
Mary

P.S. I have serious doubts about those who talk about $80K, or "6-figure"
salaries in this business. Tuning that many pianos would make anyone
completely crazy. Sales are one way to increase income, and so is working
long hours. But, what's the point if you have no life?

  My salary is above that median, but I would be hard pressed