Suggestions for Piano Trios

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Fri Mar 15 12:59 MST 2002

At 10:48 AM 3/15/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>Here is an unusual request.  I have a friend who is currently searching for
>different and interesting music to play for a concert series this summer.
>Specifically, he is looking for music for piano trios, quartets, or
>quintets.  He is interested in music from the turn of the century up
>through the present.  He enjoys the trios by Brahms, Ravel, Dvorak,
>Korngold, Franck, and Frank Bridge.  If you have any suggestions for music
>that is exciting and interesting, I will forward the suggestions to my friend.
>
>Thanks!
>
>David A. Vanderhoofven
>Joplin, MO

There's a good piano trio by Joaquin Turina. I've played it -- exciting, not
terribly hard (not as hard as the Ravel, at least.) I like Mendelssohn's
2nd trio, not quite as often played as his first. There are religious
themes in the last movement which have to be played intelligently so they
don't come across as sticky-sweet. They might like trying Ernest Bloch's
Nocturnes.