buffing aggraffes?

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri Mar 15 15:29 MST 2002

Hello all,

Further to the contributions so far, I would agree with Ed that there
is a risk with re-installing  fatigued agraffes. However, I have
found that new agraffes are just as likely to have poor string hole
profiles, so we re-cut the string holes even with new agraffes (we
use a small mill/drill for good depth stop control of the specially
profiled centre drill). The last new set we installed un-cut was 1994
- a set for a Steinway D. At the time, I had been recutting original
agraffes for some years but was never satisfied that they were
perfect. There always seemed to be one or two which remained noisy.
So I decided to use a new set for the D I was rebuilding at the time.
The result was far noisier than the previously re-cut originals.

Following this disastrous outcome, I cut a couple of the surplus new
agraffes in half through the string holes to inspect the profile. I
was shocked to find that some had parallel sections through the
string holes and other irregularities that I didn't care for. We've
been re-cutting all new agraffes ever since.

In some cases we still retain the original agraffes when rebuilding.
The early style Kawai KG agraffes were a much better design than the
later offerings, which are much less robust with a larger minor
diameter in the string holes. The smaller string holes seem to be
less noisy, other things being equal.

Ron O.
--
                  OVERS PIANOS