pin pounding

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri Mar 15 18:22 MST 2002

In a message dated 3/15/02 7:00:30 PM !!!First Boot!!!, s.kabat@csuohio.edu
writes:

> Dear list;
>     If any of you have any input/observations/etc with the following I'd
> appreciate it- you can respond to the list or to me at <A HREF="mailto:s.kabat@csuohio.edu">s.kabat@csuohio.edu</A>.
> Thanks much.
>     I've been asked to do some work on a 1913 Steinway L- the pin torque is
> marginal and since this is a consignment -type situation the institution
> offering the piano doesnt have money for what I think should be at least
> oversize pins/restringing or block replacement.  What I'm suggesting is to
> pound the pins  and do necessary action work with the understanding that
> the work involved is a stopgap measure- more extensive block/restringing
> type work, perhaps total rebuilding, might be a recommendation a few years
> down the road. We all like to cover our butts, don't we?
> I'd appreciate any comments as to the viability of this option or whether I
> should tell them to leave the instrument as is and let the buyer beware, or
> recommend real restringing.  Thanks much, all.
> Steve Kabat

Steve

If this is going to be a stop gap measure, with the intent of replacing the
block later, there is nothing wrong with applying pin dope. Pin dope could be
effective for up to 10 years, provided the block isn't cracked. Pounding in
the pins further is also a viable option, but you run the risk of further
damaging the block, which would then speed up the replacing option.

Wim