Occupational Outlook Handbook

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Mon Mar 18 08:20 MST 2002

Lawrence and others interested,
The previous edition of the online Occupational Outlook Handbook was not as
compactly presented as this new edition.  Also previously, we fell under
the category of "Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers".  It had a 2 page
description devoted entirely to our subgroup of "Musical Instrument
Repairers and Tuners", which I saved in "pdf" and printed out.
Interestingly enough, the old pdf file name was the same as this new one.
Apparently, since the previous version, earnings for our subgroup either
have increased significantly, or more likely, information was gathered
differently.  The previous edition included the following paragraph about
earnings:

"Median annual earnings of musical instrument repairers and tuners were
$23,010 in 1998.  The middle 50 percent earned between $17,780 and $29,500
a year.  The lowest 10 percent earned less than $13,230 and the highest 10
percent earned more than $38,680 a year.  Earnings were generally higher in
urban areas."

The new publication does not go into this much detail.  This was the
information I referred to as not having painted a pretty picture.
Jeff