keyframe bedding

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Tue Mar 19 10:43 MST 2002

At 11:10 AM 3/19/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi list,
>I have an older Baldwin M that has bedding problems.  The back rail beds
>nicely, but the front rail has a gap of 1/16" at the bass end, then the
>gap tapers to being bedded at around middle C - this is with all the glide
>bolts out of the way.  It appears that at some point, the front rail was
>dramatically sanded; there are lots of sandpaper marks on the front
>rail.  When I use a straightedge to examine the arch of the keyframe from
>back rail to front rail, there's a space between the straightedge and the
>balance rail except at the bass end. At that point, the straightedge
>touches the balance rail and there is a space between the front rail and
>the straightedge.
>
>The courses of action I'm considering are: sand the balance rail at the
>bass end until the front rail can be bedded or rout out a chunk of the
>front rail and put in a new piece of maple.  Any suggestions? Advice?  Thanks!
>
>Respectfully,
>Jon

Jon,
The Baldwins I've encountered have a lip no more than one inch wide on the
front rail (the area under the sharps does not touch the keybed.

You might plane off the treble-end riser and glue on a new strip of wood to
the bottom of the front rail.  Then sand the front rail until fit with
a piece of sand paper between the frame and bed (rough side up).

Keep in mind the height of the frame registering pins as to how high to
make the shim under the f/r.

Jon Page