buffing aggraffes?

Tim Coates tcoates@dtgnet.com
Tue Mar 19 15:58 MST 2002

Mark,

I tried buffing an agraffe yesterday (as per your recommendation).  Yes, it
was highly polished, but didn't look like the agraffes I see come on the
factory pianos.  Today I tuned two Yamaha grands and I saw agraffes that look
very much like the agraffes I put back into pianos.  That's what I like.  It
is alright with me that others want a highly  polished look.

When I blast I use a medium fine (140 I believe) grit at about 60-80psi.

Again, I stress we all have our likes and dislikes.  That's what makes us all
unique.  I'm not trying to say everyone should blast agraffes.  I'm trying to
get across there is a different way of working with them that is fast and
produces a look that is similar to the original factory look.

Tim Coates
Wapin Co., LLP