buffing aggraffes?

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue Mar 19 18:10 MST 2002

I read you loud and clear Tim.

I'm not particularlily a "high-gloss" person myself, but know what I like.
If bead-blasting gives the appearance of newness and uniformity, I've
assured Jeremy his agraffe-buffing days are over.

Furthermore, when I look at our plate finish, then compare with what comes
out of some factories, I see no  need to worry.

How about a non-related subject for the moment?

I showed Terry and Jeremy how to install new heel cloth using go-bars today.
If you've never tried this, read about it in Bill Spurlock's felt
replacement article in the reprint series. If you have tried this, chances
are you'll never consider another method.

Best regards, and thanks for your keen interest in helping us tweak up our
shop methods.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Tim
Coates
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 4:55 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: buffing aggraffes?

Mark,

I tried buffing an agraffe yesterday (as per your recommendation).  Yes, it
was highly polished, but didn't look like the agraffes I see come on the
factory pianos.  Today I tuned two Yamaha grands and I saw agraffes that
look
very much like the agraffes I put back into pianos.  That's what I like.  It
is alright with me that others want a highly  polished look.

When I blast I use a medium fine (140 I believe) grit at about 60-80psi.

Again, I stress we all have our likes and dislikes.  That's what makes us
all
unique.  I'm not trying to say everyone should blast agraffes.  I'm trying
get across there is a different way of working with them that is fast and
produces a look that is similar to the original factory look.

Tim Coates
Wapin Co., LLP