keyframe bedding

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Wed Mar 20 10:05 MST 2002

regarding iron-on veneer, I've used it a half-dozen times or so to widen
keys prior to re-topping.

The first attempt has been "out-in-the-field" for about 4 years, and the
adhesive is holding just fine.

Speaking of field-testing, I also used this product in the course of
refacing my In-laws kitchen cabinets. The bottom line is that with all the
heat, steam, spills, etc. of a kitchen, there has been no sign of the
adhesive letting go.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Jeff
Tanner
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 10:43 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: keyframe bedding

Lowe's also carries various sizes of iron-on veneer edgings.  I've used it
for broken key repair and also for shimming the unacorda shift guide block.
I wondered if it would also work for the problem mentioned in this thread.
I've got a 7 year old Steinway B in a teaching studio which has a front
rail gap in the bass end and is causing an irritating knock in the lowest
couple of octaves.  The gap is larger than could be corrected by sanding,
and is a problem I hadn't noticed before the last tuning or so.  The studio
is continuously busy with two instructors sharing the studio, so I haven't
had a chance to get in there to check balance rail bedding to see if the
problem is there first.  I was going to wait until I had the chance to do
so before bringing the question up to the list, but while the subject is
hot, why not?
Jeff

> Hi Jon,
>               Don't you just love refixing,  butcher jobs.  The easiest
>fix is to get some 1/4" width iron on birch  edging material.  Good
>cabinet suppy companies stock it.  Iron and Press it on real firm , so you
>see some squeeze out.Just apply on the bad section.   Then roughly bed the
>front rail. Now use a full length, so there is no seam.  This will give
>you a low friction lip for fast pedal operation.
> Bed front rail, then recheck the back rail, finally set the balance rail
>gluide bolts.
>
> PS Saw kerfing will not work so well with this type of problem
>
> Hope this helps.
> Roger

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician