keyframe bedding

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 20 10:59 MST 2002

> Lowe's also carries various sizes of iron-on veneer edgings.  I've used it
> for broken key repair and also for shimming the unacorda shift guide block.
> I wondered if it would also work for the problem mentioned in this thread.
> I've got a 7 year old Steinway B in a teaching studio which has a front
> rail gap in the bass end and is causing an irritating knock in the lowest
> couple of octaves.  The gap is larger than could be corrected by sanding,
> and is a problem I hadn't noticed before the last tuning or so.  The studio
> is continuously busy with two instructors sharing the studio, so I haven't
> had a chance to get in there to check balance rail bedding to see if the
> problem is there first.  I was going to wait until I had the chance to do
> so before bringing the question up to the list, but while the subject is
> hot, why not?
> Jeff
>

>> Hi Jon,
>>               Don't you just love refixing,  butcher jobs.  The easiest
>> fix is to get some 1/4" width iron on birch  edging material.  Good
>> cabinet suppy companies stock it.  Iron and Press it on real firm , so you
>> see some squeeze out.Just apply on the bad section.   Then roughly bed the
>> front rail. Now use a full length, so there is no seam.  This will give
>> you a low friction lip for fast pedal operation.
>> Bed front rail, then recheck the back rail, finally set the balance rail
>> gluide bolts.
>>
>> PS Saw kerfing will not work so well with this type of problem
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>> Roger
>
> Jeff Tanner
> Piano Technician
> School of Music
> University of South Carolina
> Columbia, SC 29208
> (803)-777-4392 (phone)

Jeff, Roger et all...
This subject is the topic of a mini-tech in Chicago.  Paul Dempsey is
teaching the class for the Institute.   These problems and more will be
covered in the fast paced 40 minute class.  Hope you all can be there, as
this sounds like a  problem encountered by many techs.
    See you in Chicago.
Joel
--
Joel A. Jones