keyframe bedding

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 23 12:29 MST 2002

Hi Fred,
        It is not hard to get those glide bolts solid and correct. Heres a
few tips

1.   There has to be a full thickness of a 6" machinist rule clearance for
the full depth of the front rail, or the sharps can clack.Use the rule to
check for clearance for the full length of the rail
2.   Completely back off the BR gluide bolts.
3.   Set the front rail bolts with the Davis key levelling tool, adjust
untill the tit just starts to move, then back off a hair.
4.   Set the BR gluides again with the Davis jig.

Quite often you may face a complete regulation because the bolts were never
set correctly from the get go.

I can usually do the bedding job in about 10 to 15 mins.

When you find instability, it is usually caused by the threads of the guide
being loose in the keybed. Causing the glide to move, and giving rise to
the knocking.
I work on quite a few SD10's and on all of them, I have removed the bolts
from the bed, saturated the holes with thin CA, allowed it to dry.
Reinstalled the bolts, never a problem since.  They stay nice and tight.  I
have not noticed the problem so much on the older models, with the glides
in the maple front rail.

Remember to protect the floor if you are in a customers home, they will not
appreciate a dip on the carpet

Hope this is helpful
Roger

At 10:41 AM 3/22/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Vince,
>	You mean you have actually come upon a piano with front glides that was
>bedded correctly? <g> I figure one of the problems is that it is
>difficult to impossible to get the blocks (and their adjustable bent
>metal glides) to just exactly the right downward pressure. Even the
>tiniest amount of excess pressure will bow the middle of the front rail
>up, because the outer glides act as pivot points. And not enough means
>the whole rail has room to bounce.
>Regards,
>Fred
>
>vem@email.byu.edu wrote:
>>
>> Fred,
>> Is it my imagination or have others noticed that pianos with front glides
>> bedded correctly,  just seems to be noisier than pianos that have to be
>> bedded "normally"?
>> vince
>>
>> - Jon,
>> -       I like what everyone else has had to say on the subject, but
I'll just
>> - mention keybed glides. Sounds like a big enough mess that adding glides
>> - might help on top of adding the veneer. (I'm referring to the current
>> - Baldwin design).
>> - Regards,
>> - Fred Sturm
>> - University of New Mexico