keyframe bedding

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Sun Mar 24 12:14 MST 2002

Yo Roger,
	Thanks for the tips on procedure. In my experience, I have very rarely
found one well bedded from the factory (that being the source of my
wisecrack to Vince). His observation about noise is, I think, well taken
- not because it is impossible to do a good bedding job with the design,
but because the design means that humidity fluctuations in either
direction will cause knocks to appear. Dry will make them appear
anywhere (and I think maybe exacerbated by springiness in the areas
between glides, leading to more of a bounce effect than when the rail is
solidly mated to the bed), wet in the middle due to bowing caused by the
fulcrum effect of the outer glides. It does have the virtue of being
easy to fix/adjust. Of course, the Steinway design also has seasonal
knocks, at the outer ranges. I find the least noise problem with those
like Yamaha and Kawai that just bed the rail flat and do it well.
	Regardless of design, somebody has to keep after the piano, which, as
Mr. Jolly will be the first to point out, means job security.
Regards,
Fred
Roger Jolly wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>         It is not hard to get those glide bolts solid and correct. Heres a
> few tips

snip