Fortepiano pinblock material

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Sun Mar 24 19:38 MST 2002

Dear List-
    I'm replacing the pinblock in a 1970's Zuckermann "Stein" Fortepiano.
In the 1980's the string scale tension was increased at the direction of
David Way, owner of Zuckermann Harpsichords.  The pinblock began to warp and
the instrument is now unplayable.
    First, I'm curious if anyone else has run into this, since this is a
rather common instrument.  The owner has a xeroxed scale from Way, which
makes me wonder if he had decided to rescale this model at a higher tension,
and how many other instruments have warped pinblocks.  I also wonder if the
same problem has occured with the lower tension original scale.  The
original had .016" wire on the highest notes; the rescale had .018" wire on
the highest notes.
    Second, I'm wondering what material to use in the new pinblock.  It is
supported at the ends only, no gap spacers.  The original appears to be
solid beech.  Wouldn't Delignit or Falconwood be a stiffer material?
Bolduc's 5 ply pinblock would be delightful to work with, but I fear it
wouldn't be stiff enough. Or I could just use solid beech and hope it lasts
a few decades.
    I haven't decided whether to return to the original scale.  That is my
inclination, but the owner states the instrument sounded better with the new
scale.
    I thank you in advance for your suggestions.
        Ed Sutton