Kawai worth

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue Mar 26 10:42 MST 2002

In a message dated 3/26/02 11:24:10 AM Central Standard Time, A440A@aol.com
writes:

> I have just been asked to evaluate (for donation to a State University) a
> Kawi KG-2E. The piano has never been played, not a scratch on it, not a
> string mark on the hammers.  It is 10 years old and may as well be a new
> piano,(though the bass windings are not as bright as brand new copper).  It
> does need to be regualated and tuned.
>     Anybody care to throw out what the fair market value of this piano
> might
> be?  I don't know that the model is still made, so I don't think I can get
> direct comparison. The dealer, of course, wants the figure to be as high as
> possible, (he mentioned $20,000) the IRS wants it to be as factual as
> possible (makes me think more like $12,000 tops).
>    ???
> Thanks,
> Ed Foote RPT

Ed

In 1991, according to Ancot, the retail price of a new KG 2E (5'10") was
$12,580.00. A new 5'10" RX -2 is $21,390.00. If it is indeed in pristine
condition, for IRS purposes, I think $15,000 would be fair.

Mind you, that is only as an appraised value for donation purposes. The
actual selling price on the open market by a private seller would be in the
$8 - $10,000 range. A dealer could maybe get $12,000. (With an asking price
of $21,390, he would probably sell a new one for just a little more than
that.)

Wim