Case separation or delamination question

vem@email.byu.edu vem@email.byu.edu
Fri Mar 29 09:38 MST 2002

My concern would be that it has to affect the sound to some extent.  I would
attempt to fill it with epoxy before disassembly.  That means turning the
instrument on its top.  Or if it goes completely through to between the
sound board and outer rim, filling from the top.  I have seen this condition not
only on old Steinways, Masons, and Baldwins, but in newer Asian pianos such as
a 3 year old Young Chang, 10 year old Kawai, and 20 year old Yamaha.

vince@byu.edu

- Dear list -
-
- What is your approach to dealing with separation of the inner and outer
- rims of pianos such as Steinways?  How evident does such a condition have
- to be to be of concern (any) to you when rebuilding?  I suppose my question
- is directed primarily towards rebuilders, but don't let that stop you if
- you have a strong opinion. I attempted to look this up in the archives but
- found nothing of relevance under 'delamination' or 'case
- separation'.   Also, I wonder how often you see this condition in new
- pianos (only a few years old)?    Thanks -
-
- David Skolnik
-