You have a virus

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu May 2 09:13 MDT 2002

Richard,

It's possible it was me, although my computer is clean.

>On 1 May 2002 at 13:08, caut wrote:
>I have just received an email from one of you which has a virus attached.
>It is difficult for me to tell which one of you sent the virus.
>
>Please clean your computer

In the last several days I've received a returned "attachment only"
e-mail from the harpsichord list which I never sent. It may have had a
virus. I don't know.

The next day I received this message from another source:

>This is the mail system at twisp.olympus.net.  A message was just sent
>from your email address: ATodd <ATodd@UH.EDU>
>
>to one of our customers at: webmaster@kastenmarine.com
>
>We were unable to deliver it because it contains an attachment
>named: image053.scr
>
>which appears to be infected with the virus named: W32/Klez-G
>
>The above mentioned message was NOT delivered.
>
>We realize most people do not send viruses intentionally.
>This information is sent to make you aware of the problem
>so you can deal with it.  We strongly recommend that you
>use an updated anti-virus program on your computer.  For
>more information on the virus, you might want to go to:
>    http://www.sophos.com
>
>and search for W32/Klez-G.

To be safe, I did another update and a complete virus scan and I had
nothing. So, I posted the webmaster back, telling him this and this
was his reply:

>We have a new system that scans all mail for viruses as they come through
>olympus.net. The system is in testing. Unfortunately, the "klez" virus
>spoofs the return addresses of senders. If you are sure you are virus free,
>then it is possible that your email address was stolen by the virus from
>somebody else's machine and used as the return address ("spoofed") by the
>virus. We automatically sent you a courtesy letter letting you know that
>your machine might be infected, but in this case it is probable that the
>mail had not come from you. The return address had been forged.

It looks like someone has gotten my address from someone's infected
computer that I've sent an e-mail to and is using it to send out a virus,
so if you receive anything with that virus name or extension on it,
delete it. If someone has actually done this, I have no idea if there's
any way to stop it. Just have virus protection and KEEP IT UPDATED!

Avery