Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Thu May 30 19:11 MDT 2002

Hi, Scott,

Truly the ultimate piano.

> If I can't get it back I can always leave the accu-adjust pins in there, but
> who wants Steinwin?

Not really a Steinwin either, because If the vertical pins were installed in
the same location as the original pins, the design is wrong anyway.
Preferable the pins would be placed where the (a, any) designer has decided
is the best location for backlength/hinging/flex.  The relocation of the rear
waste length termination from the duplex bar to the hitch pin resulted in a
lower impedance.  I would think that a responsible retrofit would either
place the pins at the duplex points or redesign the backlength to ensure an
appropriate placement (either by knowing enough to design this, or consulting
with someone who does).   Even if the acujust type pins are located at the
duplex termination points the hinging will be freer, as the difference
between the duplex bar and vertical pin has been explained to me.  I don't
know how much difference it makes, since my design experience is
non-existent, but there are those on this list who will have a more informed
opinion.

If it sounds good as is, great, otherwise I wouldn't leave it as it is unless
you are sure that the change in backlength did not contribute to the problem.
 I am not keen on returning the duplex bar without getting rid of the
vertical pin, since the pin will now be inclined to creep up.

Kent Webb has gotta see this one.  Get some good pictures for him, and he
could use them in a program as a gag intro.

Bill Shull