[caut] Which HT is best?

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Tue Sep 10 16:29:50 2002

John-
Try these:
    Representative Victorian (Moore & Co.) - Very mild
    Representative 18th Century (Thomas Young) - Medium strong, smooth
modulations
    Francesco Vallotti Well-temperament - 18th Century, slightly stronger
contrast than T. Young
    Prinz Well-temperament -  Strong contrast 18th century

Tune the temperament and have the performer play mid-range chords around the
circle of fifths, C to C to hear the effect of the temperament.  If they
want to compare temperaments, you can strip mute the piano and tune sample
temperaments in the middle 3 or 4 octaves.

Ed Sutton

----------
From: "John Ross" <jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: [caut] Which HT is best?
Date: Tue, Sep 10, 2002, 4:08 PM

Hi List,

I have finally got one of the staff at the University, I have a contract
with, to think seriously, about having one of the pianos, in his studio
tuned to an HT.
My problem is, I don't play, and have no experience as to what sounds good
with what.
Is there a list that tells, which temperament sounds best for a certain time
period, or composer?
I intend to use a SATlll, and offset the tuning with either the ones from
the manual, or other offsets I have that were made from Mr Jorgensen's book.
I can't remember where I got them, but someone on the list sent me a number
of them a few years ago.
Hoping someone can help me be able to pick the proper one to demonstrate
their potential. I am hoping he will then, let me try different ones
periodically.

Thank you, in advance.
Best regards,

John M. Ross