[caut] Which HT is best?

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Wed Sep 11 04:46:51 2002

At 06:31 PM 9/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>John-
>Try these:
>     Representative Victorian (Moore & Co.) - Very mild
>     Representative 18th Century (Thomas Young) - Medium strong, smooth
> modulations
>     Francesco Vallotti Well-temperament - 18th Century, slightly stronger
> contrast than T. Young
>     Prinz Well-temperament -  Strong contrast 18th century
>
>Tune the temperament and have the performer play mid-range chords around
>the circle of fifths, C to C to hear the effect of the temperament.  If
>they want to compare temperaments, you can strip mute the piano and tune
>sample temperaments in the middle 3 or 4 octaves.
>
>Ed Sutton

John,
I been using the Moore with great success. two chamber music festivals this
past summer requested it
after hearing pianos tuned with it.

The Moore is a nice step from ET, not too strong but more sonorous.  Ed
advises that for those willing to
venture into deeper waters, the Thos. Young would be the next step (much
the same as above).

Jon Page