[caut] Which HT is best?

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 02:47:35 +0200

John,

I tried the Moore as described "not too strong", and find it really
sounding old, and much more stronger than expected.

Beside, I used a very mild "human error" temperament (no more than 1
cts off) on a D that was lacking singing quality in the medium (rare)
, and as a result the first comments from all the pianist where that
the piano "sing". (for a festival this summer)

I am one of those perfect eared tuners, and I am too much disturbed
yet by real HT, but I appreciated the halo and the little differences
exacerbated by the different colors in intervals. That added life to
the performance, and pianists played with that. But they hardly could
tell the piano was not in ET (nor me)

I can appreciate meantone, Valotti or other when employed on
harpsichords or fortepianos with the correspondent music, but I can't
give the pianists something so far off than what they are used to.

If you like it there is a French book on temperaments with many
musical examples & comparisons HT /ET on a tape, at the organ (church)
and the harpsichord, the scores and explanations are given in the
book, that is very pleasing and interesting to read (in French sorry)
Musique et Temperament - Marcel Asselin.

Someone interested I could buy a copy (difficult to find here but used
in the conservatory)

Regards.

Isaac OLEG

PianoTech