touchweight

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:34:30 EDT

Ray,

By all means measure the down/up weights, but even if they are NOT perfectly
even, don't assume that this is the most productive place to start. I have
found a surprising tolerance for unevenness in this area.

I have a pianist friend whose sensitivity to the instrument I trust, and who
is not only very verbal but also patient when I grill him on a the feel of a
particular action. I have found that if there is an action which he
experiences as particularly even or particularly uneven, it will not
necessarily measure out so, either in friction or balance weight, and that
with two pianos right next to each other, the "heavier" one may measure
lighter than the "lighter" one.

It's also instructive to tune concert instruments where a different person
plays them each time, and each player will be annoyed by, or accepting of,
different things. In all cases, though, they're looking for
control/predictability, then variety. I'd guess that if your time is limited,
evenness in voicing is the most important feedback component of feel, then
things like resistance through letoff, repetition speed, and key bushing
slop, THEN evenness in weight.

Not to say that you shouldn't pay attention to weight and friction. Of course
everything should be adjusted absolutely perfectly in the best of worlds, and
you don't know which of the various parameters THIS pianist will respond most
to. When we overhaul an action we pay particular attention to getting the
balance weight evenly graduated, within very small tolerances, often smaller
than you will find from the factory. Then we try to get the friction smoothed
out. I'm just saying that balance weight, which is a dynamic, indirect
measure of inertia under actual playing conditions, and becomes more evident
the faster you play, is more important than static downweight measurements.
Friction in the shank center is only one component of the resistance the
player feels in actual playing.

Under time pressure, I'd ask the player exactly what he is having trouble
doing, and use that as an indicator as to what to look at first, of the list
of useful things others have mentioned.

Good luck,
Bob Davis