touchweight

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:02:06 -0700

Some good points here, Bob.  Through blunders over the years, I have come to
the conclusion that it is really unnecessary, & often counter-productive, to
have everything match the specs. exactly.  It is much more important that it
feel even.  Key travel & after-touch are a good case-in-point.  It is less
important to the performer that there may be a few (or even several)
thousandths difference in actual travel or after-touch, than the keys feel
as if they travel the same.  There are so many variables which affect the
feel of the key that precise measurements are not possible, or even
desirable at times.  As Fred Drasche used to tell me early on in my career,
"Measure, but regulate by how the action feels."

This is an inexact profession, not well suited for the unbending
perfectionist.  I had to learn to bend.  More important than the rules of
regulation, are the relationships therein.  And, as Bob mentioned, voicing
can be a huge factor.  All the notes can regulate out exactly, & even feel
the same through the key stroke, but if the voicing is uneven, each note
will have to be played differently to get them to sound even.  This scenario
can drive a slightly unbalanced, "didn't-quite-make-the-concert-circuit
pianist-on-the-eve-of-a-performance" around the bend; and you, as the piano
technician, will be a passenger on that decidely unpleasant ride.  Even
ratty hammers & marginal regulation can be brought around with some
expedient regulation & judicious voicing.  Just give enough time for the
performer to get used to your adjustments, if at all possible.  Wholesale,
last-minute over-hauls wil seldom make anyone happy, & you'll go home
wondering why you chose this picky profession.  Been there, done that, ain't
no fun.

Otto

Piano Technician
University of Idaho