Piano Maintenance for the Piano Teacher

Richard West rwest1@unl.edu
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:20:38 -0500

PTG has a publication called "Presenting Programs to Teachers."  It is
65 pages long.  The contents' pages list chapters like "Preparation and
Advertising,"\ "Sources for Program Ideas," "Using A-V Materials,"
"Bibliography," etc.  There are 9 suggested presentations.

Richard West

"Elwood Doss, Jr." wrote:

> In November the University of Tennessee at Martin is hosting Andreas
Klein.  The Piano Professor
at UTM is having a Saturday symposium for Piano Teachers where Klein
will give a master class.
She is also arranging for other presenters:  a former Artist in
Residence at UTM, Dr. Allison
Nelson/Loebekka on "How to Practice" and someone else present a session
on "Massage of the
Pianist."  She also asked me to present the following:

> Will you give a presentation on piano repairs and maintenance for the
piano teacher?  There are
many things most of us don't know but should know.  How often does a key

get stuck because  a
child dropped a penny down between the keys?  How often does a pedal not

work because something
simple came loose?  We need to be reminded of the importance of regular
tuning.  Tell us how to
determine if a piano needs refurbishing or rebuilding. And on and on. .
.