revision process

Richard E. West rwest1@unl.edu
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:59:45 -0500

Bill, and All,

The point I was trying to make in my post was to have CAUT members
around the country have a chance to get together in regional/local
settings.  Since we're in the process of revising our guidelines, the
success of the project depends to a large degree on how useable that
document will be on a grass roots level.  That's why we talked about the
revisions at our last regional seminar.  If we can involve more
technicians at the local level, the revision project will benefit and
the results will be more meaningful.

In regard to point 1 below, I agree that it's hard to run a committee
when the only time the committee has a chance to meet is once a year at
the convention.  We've been stuck with this "system" for as long as PTG
has been around.  I had hopes that with email the barriers to progress
might disappear.  But email doesn't solve every communication problem.
We just have to keep working at keeping in touch with each other any way
we can.  The board has the same problem.  We meet twice a year at some
expense to PTG.  We tried a third meeting, which I still believe is
still a good idea, but our financial resources are limited.  We're a
small organization and so we just can't do everything we'd like.

Finally, for CAUT to have a presence in local and regional meetings, it
takes local technicians to take the effort to schedule time, develop
classes, and generally open up university facilities to PTG as much as
possible.

I agree with what you say in another post:  There are some real
investments required to make this type of thing come off.  I, too,
applaud the all effort of many of our CAUT technicians over the past few
years, and I hope that my posts haven't suggested otherwise.  I believe
there are more university technicians around and that they are ready to
work together.  I've always felt the CAUT group should be a major player
in PTG education and support.  CAUT has some of the best technicians in
the country.

Richard West