Low Frequency Voicing

Tim Coates tcoates@dtgnet.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:30:49 -0500

I have seen questions from various technicians asking about increasing
the lower octave depth of sound.  I haven't seen much for answers.
There are plenty of answers as to increasing the upper harmonics
response.  Does anyone have methods that will hold on to upper harmonics
but substantially increase the lower harmonics for notes in the bass
section of a piano?  In other words add that deep, thick sound?

I have been of the opinion that some pianos have the low harmonics
already in the instrument and some don't.   Can this opinion be
challenged?

I have played and serviced SSDs that have a rich deep sound in the bass
section and others that don't.  New hammers (cold or hot pressed) don't
seem to change the situation.  Am I missing something?

Tim Coates
Wapin Co., LLP