low humidity tuning?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:54:10 EST

In a message dated 1/24/03 2:53:16 PM Central Standard Time, jminor@uiuc.edu
writes:

> Anyone find tuning is less stable at extreme low humidity? Say around
> 12%RH. Our instrument seems more unstable than usual, even while I'm
> tuning.
>
> Our main building is running 8%RH these days. I've been trying to get them
> to deal with it, but no luck.
>

> John Minor
> University of Illinois

This dry cold is making my life miserable. Last week I did nothing but one
pitch raise after another in the practice rooms, and as I'm walking by them,
I can hear most of the pianos out of tune already. And I tune these once a
month.

This morning I tuned a teacher's piano that was tuned in August. It was 35
cents low. I raised the pitch and gave it a tuning. I hope he's satisfied.

This afternoon, I tuned our concert grand, which I tuned last week, and it
was 6 cents low. I raised pitch, 1.5 cents, and did an Ed "close" tuning, and
it settled at A440. One of our voice faculty is practicing this weekend, and
the piano will get a good going over on Tuesday, just before her recital. But
I know it will be way out by then.

And I've just got 75 pianos. What are some of you guys doing with 100 or more
pianos? Are you getting time off for good behavior later?

Wim