New Bostons

Tim Coates tcoates@dtgnet.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 07:43:34 -0600

Hi Susan,

It is great to hear different ways of doing something.  I didn't come up
with the 2 ounce spray solution idea.  I was introduced  to it from a
technician I respect highly.  Incidentally, he isn't a part of any
listserve.  He thinks they do more damage than good both to people and
ideas (can we all say Pianotech?)  Without respect we have nothing.  He
was at a voicing class at a convention and saw/heard the results.

I'm not talking about saturating the hammer.  I am talking about
misting.  I doubt if a drop of solution is even put on a hammer.  You
can literally mist the hammers and slide it back in the piano.  I
usually wait about 5 minutes as I think you should give it a little time.

I don't think humidity has anything to do with the use of this solution
of fabric softener.  Remember we are talking about 4-5 drops fabric
softener to 2 ounces of liquid.  I remember when people first started
talking about using fabric softener.  It was a very undiluted solution
in comparison.  Yes, it is dry here right now, but not in the summer.  I
mostly have misted in the summer.  The voicing I've done with it has
been very, very stable.  I'd have to say it is about the most stable
voicing tool I've found.

It's good your methods work for you.  It's good my methods work for me.

Tim Coates
Wapin Company LLP