after ring revisited

Paul Kupelian ryv@twcny.rr.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:58:48 -0500

            Wim,

            Fie on you for assuming that because the accompanist is an
organist, that he doesn=92t know what after ring is.  I am not =
supporting
him as I feel your assessment of the situation along with your
department chair is fair.  But, in defense of us who are organists, you
will find that most organists were pianists first and since organ
technique is altogether different than piano technique, I suspect that
he was out of his milieu.  If he is a bad organist as well, then I would
say all bets are off.

Paul=20

Paul Kupelian, RPT

SUNY Oswego (ret.)

=20

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 12:40 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: after ring revisited

=20

Epilogue to the post

I talked with the chairman of our department, a concert pianist, about
the problem. First of all, he agrees with me that the piano is supposed
to be that way. It's part of the characteristic of the S&S D. Second,
the accompanist is not very good, and is, in fact, an organist.He wasn't
used to hearing a note continue to sound after letting go of it. And
third, the chair said, in the future, just act dumb. Tell whomever that
this is the best the piano will do, and let it go at that.

On a side note. The accompanist reheared on the piano both Saturday and
Sunday.  I asked him why he waited until half an hour before the concert
to complain. He said he didn't "notice" the problem before. (As if
that's a problem that just sort of happens at the last minute.)

The lesson learned, I guess, is that some pianist, really aren't. And
they're the hardest ones to please. (But I guess most of you already
knew that.)=20

Wim=20

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.