Speaking of Piano Tech courses and books...

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:30:47 -0500

>Heyyy... I LOVED Danny Boone's book. ("Regulating Grand Piano- Touch and
>Tone") It was almost a novel rather than a piano tech. book.
>Very thorough.
>(Don't think it ever came out in hardcover.)
>
>:)
>Michelle

Haven't read that one yet.  It would help if the supply houses put the
publishing date in their descriptions, so you would have an idea of how up
to date the publications actually are.  For example:  Dr. Jorgensen's book,
"Tuning" is described as an "exciting new publication..."  while it was
written 25 years ago and is out of print.  John Travis's "Let's Tune Up" is
still written up as "By far, the most UP-TO-DATE book on piano tuning and
techniques....fast being accepted by schools as a text for teaching
keyboard classes..." and it was written in the 60s, and also out of print.
I have both editions of Mr. Reblitz's book, but the newest one is now 10
years old and appears to be headed for paperback only.

I guess what I'm referring to is the "complete course" type of book.  There
are new and better ways of doing things and newer, more accurate tools,
etc., (not to mention Disclavier, PianoDisk, etc.), since the earlier books
were published.  Granted, the majority of the older techniques are still
the way of doing things, but if those books go out of print....

>ps- is it me or does Schaff look like they are selling on ebay?
>I went there the other day-typed in "piano tools"- and a huge list of
>regulating tools were posted on there. The address of the seller was in the
>Chicago area..  Hmmmm.....

I usually type in "piano tuning".  I've seen two guys selling tuning tools
and supplies they get from Schaff, one in Idaho and one in Texas, I think.
But I haven't noticed the listings from Chicago yet.  A Hale Sight-O-Tuner
sold today, which was supposedly purchased new by a music store for someone
who never picked it up.