Looking for an automat

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 10:52:57 +0100

Gentle(wo)men,

I am looking for a good way to build an automat that can play the keys
of any piano, like the devices used in factories to settle the parts
before final regulation/voicing.

I have heard that in the Bechstein factory, pianists are invited (paid
?) to play on the new instruments, they are supposed to play in all
keys, the people from the factory believe with probably good reasons
that the settling is better when hand made.

Pianodisk systems seems to push the keys from below, but could they be
mounted in reverse direction on an adequate support ?

I've seen a device that works with solenoids, and which is midi
driven, you install it on a keyboard and it can play, but it is still
an expansive $3000 or more thing, and I don't even know if it is
produced yet.

I've seen a custom made machine that used a sewing machine base, an
electric motor, and metal pallets that push frankly on a whole bunch
of keys together, but the system is rather crude as such, and may be
moved from place to place on the keyboard to have the sharps played
and all the keys.

Ach Produktion ...

Thanks for any idea

Isaac OLEG