Watering Dampp-Chaser Systems in University Pianos

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Sat, 08 Mar 2003 07:21:13 -0500

At my local universities and colleges, I train a student each session to do
the work. I have supplied them with a large water bottle with a manual pump.
I train them to remove the bottom cover and carefully watch the water level.
I also suggest that they insert a finger in the upright tank so they can
stop pumping when they feel the water on the tip of their finger.

I find the spills occur when the students move the pianos when the tank is
full though. I guess they dont understand the physics of it. They also keep
going OVER the electric wire and eventually the wire shorts itself... What
can we do ? I guess that's why I get paid, to fix things.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC